Sunday, March 14, 2010

I'll be dancin...

I like Telephone. I like the Gaga and Beyonce mix. I do. I like Bad Romance. I like the song. I don't really care for any of Gaga's other stuff besides Papparrazzi, but that doesn't matter. Here's what matters. Every time she releases a new video, people freak out about it and say it's the best video since Thriller.
It's not.

What she is right now is a novelty. Fun dance music, ridiculous outfits, and a strange persona that is different than what's out there right now. Basically, she's Cher. People like to say that she's the new Madonna but what Modonna did was purely sexual. What Cher did was be weird, which is what Gaga is doing. And I'm going to tell you, that just like Cher, it's all an act. A very well designed and calculated act. And, on top of it all, when Gaga was on SNL with Madonna, the skit wasn't even funny. It was awkward.

It's easy to be the biggest artist around when every gay in America is flipping out over you and the drag-queen clothes you wear. But at the end of the day, she's just trying to be memorable in a sea of Chris Browns sing-alikes and she's going to be as strange as possible to stay that way. Like I said, I do like a few of her songs and I'm always interested in what she will do next to remain in the public eye. Even if it means making a 10 minute music video for a 3 minute song and chopping the song apart and filling the middle sections with a story that doesn't make any sense and a lot of lesbian kissing. And let's not even talk about the fact that at the peak of the song, when they are both singing "I'll be dancin," they aren't.
So I'm sorry but no. It's not the best video since Thriller. Not even close.

No comments: