Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fight

I realize that I've written about Spartacus a lot over the past few days, but it just keeps coming up.

Today, it was announced that the actor who plays Spartacus is dealing with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a very serious cancer. Andy Whitfeld is a man who is in top physical shape and is now dealing with something that has the power to take his life. Granted, he caught it early, is getting treatment, and should recover just fine.


He's made a statement about having an 'army of support behind him' and that he has a good attitude about this. It's just made me think about life and how we never really know what's going to happen. There has been cancer in my family line and so it's something that I think about, it's not something that is far away or unrelatable. It's not really something I live in fear of, but it's a reality that can't be avoided.

And so here is this man, who plays a gladiator who's fighting for his life, who is now actually fighting for his life, and I guarantee that the second season of his show isn't the first thing on his mind. He's concerned with the fight. The real fight.

I don't know who reads this, or if anyone reads this, but I'm gonna be really serious and tell you to fight. Maybe you don't need to hear that now. Maybe you're fine now. But at some point, our health fails us and we have to fight. I encourage you to fight and come out on the other side as the victor. Fight it.

There are things about us that we have to fight and there are things about us that we have to embrace. What he's going through is something fightable, something defeatable. So he should keep fighting. Not just so that I can see a second season of the show I've become infatuated with, but because he needs to fight.

So do you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. And yes, people read this.