Saturday, June 20, 2009

Two thousand zero zero

I've just made a discovery. A big one.
It's no rumor that my favorite year in pop culture is 1993. A lot happened that year. Power Rangers, Jurassic Park. Where's Waldo, Crystal Pepsi. Great year for pop culture.
But I have now happened upon my favorite year in music. Yes. I didn't think it could ever happen because I have so many songs that I love. But here it is anyways. And of course, it also derives from the 90s.
That year, is 1999, and no, it has nothing to do that the song, formerly known as relevant, by Prince. Rather than writing a really long explanation about it, I decided that I would include the list of the top 100 songs from that year from Billboard. Now, I've taken out the songs that I don't particularly care for, and just left the songs, some with their special meanings, that I do care about. By doing this, I am offering you a window...and insight...into my life. Because I never do that...

1. Believe, Cher
2. No Scrubs, TLC
3. Angel Of Mine, Monica
4. Heartbreak Hotel, Whitney Houston
5. ...Baby One More Time, Britney Spears - duh.
6. Kiss Me, Sixpence None The Richer
7. Genie In A Bottle, Christina Aguilera - liked the song but couldn't buy her album. Couldn't be a traitor to Britney.
8. Every Morning, Sugar Ray
9. Nobody's Supposed To Be Here, Deborah Cox - the original is good but the remix is like a kiss from baby Jesus.
10. Livin' La Vida Loca, Ricky Martin
11. Where My Girls At?, 702
12. If You Had My Love, Jennifer Lopez - I went out of my way to get this single.
13. Slide, Goo Goo Dolls
14. Have You Ever?, Brandy - a Brandy song can just calm you down, no matter what mood you are in.
15. I Want It That Way, Backstreet Boys - one of my favorite songs and I'm not ashamed of it.
16. I'm Your Angel, R. Kelly and Celine Dion
17. All Star, Smash Mouth
18. Angel, Sarah McLachlan
19. Smooth, Santana Featuring Rob Thomas
20. Unpretty, TLC
21. Bills, Bills, Bills, Destiny's Child - this was when we realized that they were about to take over our lives.
22. Save Tonight, Eagle-Eye Cherry
25. All I Have To Give, Backstreet Boys
26. Bailamos, Enrique Iglesias - all I can think about when it comes to Enrique now is the live clip that KIIS FM played in Dallas of him singing...terribly.
29. Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
30. Someday, Sugar Ray
31. Lately, Divine - I still have this song on playlists.
32. That Don't Impress Me Much, Shania Twain
33. Wild Wild West, Will Smith Featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee
35. Heartbreaker, Mariah Carey Featuring Jay-Z - I bought this album and slurped it up like liquid white chocolate.
36. I Still Believe, Mariah Carey
37. The Hardest Thing, 98 Degrees
38. Summer Girls, LFO
39. Can I Get A..., Jay-Z Featuring Amil (Of Major Coinz) and Ja
41. Doo Wop (That Thing), Lauryn Hill
42. Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...), Lou Bega - I had this song on a cassette that I would listen to in the car...on my portable cassette player.
43. Sweet Lady, Tyrese
44. It's Not Right But It's Okay, Whitney Houston - the remix of this song changed my life.
45. (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You, 'N Sync
48. Tell Me It's Real, K-Ci and JoJo
49. Back 2 Good, Matchbox 20
52. She's All I Ever Had, Ricky Martin
53. Miami, Will Smith
54. Hands, Jewel - I still think this is her best song.
57. From This Moment On, Shania Twain
63. Give It To You, Jordan Knight
70. I Will Remember You (Live), Sarah McLachlan
73. My Love Is Your Love, Whitney Houston
76. Almost Doesn't Count, Brandy
77. Man! I Feel Like A Woman!, Shania Twain
78. Steal My Sunshine, Len
79. I Need To Know, Marc Anthony
82. Back At One, Brian McKnight
85. Amazed, Lonestar - it was on this song that radio learned how to overplay and run songs into the ground.
86. Sometimes, Britney Spears
89. Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem), Jay-Z
94. Iris, Goo Goo Dolls
99. When You Believe, Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey - it doesn't get any better than these two singing together.

So I think it's pretty obvious that this year had a stellar soundtrack and while there are so many songs that are so great from other years, I firmly believe that this year is my favorite year of music. You can't judge me either. You're just so jealous that you don't still have your portable cassette player to listen to Mambo No. 5. Jealous?!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I was proud of myself for how many songs in here I knew!