Sunday, June 14, 2009

Three with a chance of rain

There's an hour and a half left of my birthday and I am watching Drive Me Crazy. I'm sure I've blogged about this movie before, about how much it resembles my high school, about how it will always hold a special place in my heart, blah blah blah.
You know what I find funny about birthdays, how there are three groups of people that are involved in your birthday experience. The first are the people that genuinely care about you and make the effort to call you, text you, do something to let you know that they appreciate the fact that your parents had sex and procreated, the end result being you. The second group is a group that has been created with the advent of Facebook. They are the people that wish you a happy birthday on your facebook wall, even though you aren't really friends and don't talk. But they come out of the woodwork to wish you a happy birthday anyways, and I'm not making light of that, it's always nice to have people take a moment to say that they want you to have a good day. But it's a grouping of people that didn't come along until Facebook.
The third group is the group that you really don't want to think about, but you are forced to. They are the group of people that you really want to care that you exist, really, you want them to prove that they care that you exist. But they don't contact you, they don't make any effort...they just don't. And as much as the rest of the day might have been perfect and wonderful, as mine was, you can't help but think about those one or two people that you wish would have made some sort of effort.
Now I know that my feelings on the subject are clouded by the thunderheads of bitterness, the rainclouds of hurt, and the winds of all out frustration. A little dramatic? Yes. But there it is. So, the third group sucks. And it sucks looking at that third group, knowing that it probably won't change. But that's why God invented umbrellas.

No comments: