Tuesday, June 2, 2009

But if I can't swim after 40 days...

I just got back from New York where I was searching for some inspiration to keep going. You know, for a creative person, we have to find something to latch onto so that it will spur on the creative process within us. I was feeling so creatively dried up and I needed a good flood of inspiration to jump start my mind again.
Boy did I find it.
I saw Hair while I was there. It was the one musical that I wanted to see badly and I couldn't tell you why I wanted to see it either. But for some reason, I wanted to see it. I went alone, my friends went and saw another show. By the end of the night, I had a flower in my hair, a flier in my hand for the "Be In" telling me to bring my own pot, I had been sung to in my face, a beautiful black woman caressed my face and told me she liked my hat, and I had been pulled up onto the stage during the finale to dance and sing Let The Sunshine In.
Flood.
Musically, it was one of the best shows I have ever heard. It was stunning. The acting was amazing. The cast was brilliant. It was one of the best shows that I have ever seen. Period. I've seen a lot of Broadway. But this was one of the best. The more I think about it, the more I love it. When I listen to the music from the show,. I am filled with the carefree spirit of the cast. See, that was what was so inspiring. It didn't have anything to do with the subject matter. It was the fact that these people were dancing and singing without any inhibition and it was wonderful. As I danced and sang with the cast and about 40 other people on stage, I too felt great.
So I went and while we did many amazing things, saw other great shows, and had a wonderful time, I found my flood of inspiration within some Hair.
Lifted up so high that I can not fall.

No comments: