Sunday, March 8, 2009

...love was such an easy game to play...

I had the most surreal experience over the past 2 days. It's as if I have been transported back in my life. 8 years back as a matter of fact.
8 years ago, I spent my summers at Six Flags. Season passes for all of us, going at least once a week, riding the coasters, seeing the shows, and having a great time. Skin was always tan, life was good. For three or four years, we did that. We went to Six Flags and then we would go swimming. As much as that might seem silly or pointless, I wouldn't change that for the world. Not one day of it.
It's a beautiful day outside. I was driving to get lunch and the windows were down. The weather and the smell of the road, as weird as that sounds, reminded me of driving to Arlington and walking around the park. You know how the cement at a theme park smells? It's that hot tar smell with a side of cigarette smoke? That's what it smelt like outside and while some people would find that to be annoying, it took me back. I have similar smell issues when it comes to the streets of New York. There is a certain smell that I find incredibly comforting. Sometimes, I find that smell when I am walking to get lunch inbetween classes and whenever I do, I take a minute, pause, and remind myself of where I've been and where I'm going. All because of a smell.
The other reason that 8 years became so important was because a friend, a really wonderful friend that I met 8 years ago came to see me. (Not really to see me, he had a job to do in Texas, but I like to believe that he came just to see me) It's one of those things where we can just pick up where we left off and it's great.
Oh. And did I mention that I watched my favorite episode of I Love Lucy? Did I mention that?
Look. There is just something about the past coming back. Except this isn't haunting me. This is this little blessing that made my weekend so great. I always say that it's the little things that mean the most to me and this is one of those things. The smell of an amusement park and a friend I haven't seen in years, and Lucy, the Queen of the Gypsies. That's what makes life good.
And life IS good. As much as there are things going on and things to think about and plenty of reasons for me to curl up and die, life is good. As long as the little things keep being great, then life will remain good.
Just thought I would share.

No comments: