Sunday, March 15, 2009

Listen to me

How do you tell someone the things that you know they need to hear? I mean, how do you go there with that person and say the most awkward things that you can say to a person, knowing that they need to be said but not knowing how they will react to them?
How do you say, "You embarrass me," "You need to grow up," "You aren't a teenager," "You are hurting yourself,"or "You need to listen to me for once." How do you say that to a person? Look. I have an awful tendency to say what I am thinking, no matter what it may be. I have had to teach myself to self-censor what I say or I wouldn't have any friends. But how do you say things to someone that you know they won't take well?
For instance. I have a friend. I mean, I have more than one, but this one in particular has a tendency to only think about what they want in that moment and to not think about how that will affect them in the future or how it affects those who love them. BUT, I can't really say anything to them about it because I know that it won't be taken well. As immature as it is, I know it won't be taken well. So I can''t say, "Act your age," "Listen to me," "Don't do that." And that sucks because I can see how their actions keep hurting them and they are doing things that they will regret later, but I know that they won't react well to the things that are said to them in love.
Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love. But what about when love isn't enough and you have to actually say it? What then?

No comments: