Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chinese

I am uncontrollably happy right now. I wish I could tell you why, I wish I knew why. But I am shamelessly filled with joy. Do you remember Julia Roberts' Oscar acceptance speech? There she was, 20 pounds of fake hair and a stunning dress, teeth from one end of the stage to the other, and she is laughing because of how happy she was, stating that she was "shamelessly filled with joy." Do you remember that? If not, you should youtube it. It's really quite wonderful.
Well, I have been alone today for the past 12 hours. I've gotten things done, I've cleaned a little, I've listened to new music, I've got a chinese and watched TV. (Lily Allen. Chinese. Listen to it.) It's been a really fantastic day.
There is something to be said for a day being alone and productive. It's really nice. Not that being with people is a bad thing. Clearly, I'm a people person. But I think that because I am with people all the time, the time that I spend alone is really great. Well, either really great or really depressing. It's an either/or situation with me. But today was GREAT. So great that I wanted to shout about it. Figuratively. Not really. Though, I did shout today. I was watching something on youtube (where the Julia Roberts speech is...remember) and I was so...shamelessly filled with joy that I did shout a bit. If you know me, you know that's not strange. So here I am, watching a room full of Elvis' at a wedding on television, happy as can be. Soon, I will go to sleep. You know at the end of Mona Lisa Smile, when Julia is sitting in the back seat of the cab and all the girls are biking next to her, showing her that they love her? The music is swirling, the girls are crying, Julia reaches out of the car to touch Kirsten Dunst's hand and then she sits back in her seat. As the movie fades out, she looks to the side and smiles her famous smile. That's the smile I will smile as I lay down to fall asleep. Why? Because today has been so great. And I'm rehearsing for when I get my Oscar.

No comments: