Friday, December 19, 2008

A case of the Rs.

I've been watching a lot of television lately. No, that wasn't meant to be sarcastic. Stop it.
I watch a lot of television all the time, I know. But what I have been watching recently is different than the typical stuff I watch.
I'm watching things that are raw. That's right. Raw. Raw and rough and at times repulsive, and ridiculous, and rude, and real. It doesn't really matter what I am watching, though I am not afraid of telling you what it is. But since you didn't ask, I won't bother boring you with it. It's not important anyway.
What is important is the real-life-application that is coming out of this. It's astonishing actually. See, we like to live in this place where real life is important and fantasies are looked down upon. You hear the word fantasy and the meaning is sexual. Not that those kinds of fantasies are bad. Princess Leia and the gold bikini, strapping sailor home from the Navy, two stock traders rolling around on the trading room floor and everyone's watching...never happened.
But we rarely allow ourselves to envision a life for ourselves outside of what we can see down a specific road or path. We spend our lives searching for what we should do, we eventually either find out or just make a decision and live with it, and then we go toward that road, being careful to work hard to move up the ladder along the way. But what if we jumped off of that path to a more rocky path, knowing that we would be happier being rocked than smooth sailing?
Maybe happier isn't the right word. Actually, I know it's not. Happier is not the word. We go to the movies to feel a sense of adventure. But what if the adventure wasn't a movie, it was real life? It's that the point of this life anyways? To have an adventure? I have never wanted to be that person that was normal. I've never wanted a normal life with normal happenings and normal surroundings. I have always craved a life bigger than my own. Plenty of people feel that way. But do they actually go for the adventure?
What Ewan McGregor was taught in Sunday School via Big Fish was that "The more difficult something is in the beginning, the more rewarding it is in the end." So while none of the people in the television shows that I am watching are anything to aspire to be in life, there is the reality factor that sets in and makes me want to jump off the road and take to the rockies.
And I think I might. I love that all of my big life decisions are a by-product of people acting like whores, sex-addicts, vampires, obnoxious teenagers, and various incarnations of existence-questioning adults on television. My mother raised me right.

No comments: