Thursday, November 27, 2008

Epidemic.

What is the deal with the mass text? I don't get it. Why do people do that? You know who you are. You know you do it.
I don't mean a mass text because something huge just happened in your life and you want to share it with a broad spectrum of people. No. Not that. I mean, the mass text that happens on holidays. "Happy Thanksgiving!" "Merry Christmas!" "Happy New Years!" Give me strength.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to wish all of those ideas on people. Nothing wrong with that at all. The problem lies within the idea of the mass text. There's nothing personal about it. The whole purpose of texting was so that we could send quick messages to a specific person and not have to deal with calling. That's what it's about. Now, we have abused that privilege to the point that it has become the epidemic of the mass text.
Look. I don't doubt that you feel that way and want to share joy. I don't even doubt that you want to spread joy to that many people. But I do doubt that when we haven't talked in months, you really want to wish me joy. I'm sorry. I am so low on your scale right now. I don't take offense to it, it's just the way it is. Sorry.
So you think twice before adding me to the list on your mass text just to wish some joy upon me. I like your joy a fine amount, I just demand personalized joy on the holidays.

No comments: