Monday, June 2, 2008

I'm in a High School Musical!

On my first day of high school, I missed the bus. So I ran home crying to my mother, who had to then drive me to school, I was totally late, I couldn't find the classroom, and when I got in there, of course everyone turned and stared at me. The teacher even made a point when going over everything to say that tardies were not tolerated in her class and she looked over at me as she said it. It was awful. Absolutely awful.
Suddenly, I'm back in high school.

My first day of summer classes at the community college in town. I have to take two classes so I can graduate in December. I have never been out there, but I know how to get there, so I wake up early, I leave half an hour before class starts (which is the ungodly hour of 8:00 in the morning by the way) and I head out there. Not that it matters that it was at 8:00 in the morning, because I didn't sleep at all last night. Again. I found myself in a caravan of sorts of students from Baylor who were all heading out there for the same reason.
I was surprised at how surprisingly scenic it was out there. The only community college that I have ever been to was like in the middle of a field and was Boring. (note the capital letter) There is the river, the park, more trees than Al Gore could shake a stick at, and the temperature was nice in my un-air conditioned car, and the gospel music was playing loud. I was singing. It was a nice ride.

My plotted out parking lot was full and so I had to move to plan B, which was totally fine. I found a spot without a problem. I walked in with everyone else, I got into the building, inside my class, perfect seat in class. All is good.

The little old man teacher came up to me to check my name on the role...it wasn't there. It's not a big deal, I just got registered on Friday, I tell him. He tells me that if I haven't paid, they will drop me from the class and I thought I had until tomorrow. Whatever. It will work out. I'm gonna stay in there today and fix it after class.
Class starts.
"Hola clase."
"Hola."
"Does anyone know what hola means?"
Uh oh. Shouldn't all these people know this by now?
"Doesn't it mean hello?"
Crap. I'm in the wrong class. How did this happen?
Well, the people at the registrars office gave me the wrong info. So I am on my phone emailing them as I am in class, trying to figure it out. She emails me back and says that I am registered in the class that I am supposed to be registered in. Fantastic. Too bad I am not sitting in it.
So there I am. Sitting. Irritated. He's talking and I am not listening. I am trying to figure out when I can get up and leave to try and fix this.
Then he goes and closes the door.
My exit strategy was thwarted.
Okay. So, I will email the prof of the class that I supposed to be in. That was my new plan. I knew that a break was going to be coming up and so I would just leave then.
But not before having to learn the alphabet and the numbers in Spanish. Again.
It was awful. It was the longest hour of my life. And the entire time, an epic R&B opera set to the tunes of Brandy was playing out in my head. That part was fun but the other part was not. Hopefully, the sun will come out again tomorrow.

So I drove home after sneaking out at the first break and sang to Brandy in the car ride all the way home. Again with the scenery and the breeze and such. Except this time, I was irritated.

So, I am back in high school. Luckily, I'm 11 years older now and I have the wisdom to know that it's not the end of the world and I can totally fix this, but still. Disaster. I mean, it was like watching the Titanic sink on a perfectly clear night, or a tidal wave crashing on a beach on the perfect beach day. You know, when it's not too hot but the sun is out so you can get tan? That's a good day. Maybe tomorrow will be. It's only a day away.

No comments: